Thursday 10 January 2013

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor


4.5 out of 5 Stars!

Life can be pretty cruel sometimes. 

This is another one of those books that have been sitting on my kindle forever and I finally decided that I should read it. I think I should have read it sooner, my goodness, this book pulled at your heart from the start. I loved both Jake and Sam and found them to be quite refreshing, I could have read about them both for days. I can only imagine what it would have been like for both of them and I think that they both handled their very different situations well. This book wasn't what I was expecting at all it was so much more. I didn't realise that so much of the book would actually be about Sam but it was a good thing and I really enjoyed reading about the both of them.

Jake lives on Orcas Island, a small island with a population of roughly 5,000. He is your typical guy, he plays football, hangs out with his mates and crushes on girls, well actually he just crushes on one girl in particular, Sam. Sam is good looking and she is also very smart, to Jake she is the perfect package. The only problem is that Jake can never seem to get the courage to tell her how he feels. Homecoming night comes around and they are celebrating at a party afterwards. After a few drinks Jake decides that it is time to tell Sam how he really feels. Jake and his two closest friends get in the car drunk to go to Sam and that is when the car accident happens. The last thing Jake remembers before he blacks out is the car spinning, getting air and then the feel of metal meeting skin and blood.

Jake wakes up in the hospital four days later confused but surrounded by his family. He keeps trying to speak, to ask what is going on but every time he tries to talk no sound comes out he only feels pain. When the doctor comes in Jake is given the bad news, his vocal cords were severely damaged in the accident and had to be removed. Jake will never be able to speak again. Once released from hospital Jake has a small break and then it is back to school. He struggles at first but ends out getting by with the help from a special girl, Sam. As Jake and Sam get closer though it becomes obvious that Sam needs Jake just as much as Jake needs Sam.


No comments:

Post a Comment