Sunday 13 January 2013

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover


4 out of 5 Stars!

I'm not going to wish for a perfect life. The things that knock you down in life are tests, forcing you to make a choice between giving in and remaining on the ground or wiping the dirt off and standing up even taller than you did before you were knocked down. I'm choosing to stand taller. I'll probably get kicked down a few more times before this life is through with me, but I can guarantee you I'll never stay on the ground. 

It has been bought to my attention that I must be one of the only people in the booking world that hasn't read a Colleen Hoover book yet. I figured I should probably stop people from harassing me and give one of her books a go, enter Hopeless. This book is everywhere at the moment and the hype surrounding it is unbelievable. I did enjoy this book and from the start I was hooked and totally in love with it. It did get a little repetitive at times though and I did find myself getting distracted easily especially around 60% in. I loved the interactions between Sky and Holder and I loved their mood swings and the way that they would piss each other off. Overall it was a really enjoyable book.

Sky is a very interesting character. She loves making out with guys but never goes any further then that so she has a reputation for being a slut but she isn't really one. Sky was adopted when she was younger but luckily her adoptive mum Karen is amazing and has always been there for her. She has even homeschooled Sky her entire life. This was all fine before but now Sky wants to try a semester at an actual school before she moves on to college. It was planned that Sky would start her first and last semester at school with her best friend since forever Six but those plans changed and now Sky is starting school for the first time and doing it on her own. Its not all bad though she makes friends with another new person on the first day, Breckin. Breckin is fantastic and Sky clicks him with instantly, he is also very gay and very, very funny. Its lucky for Sky that she has made a new friend because her reputation has followed her to the school and the other kids are letting her know all about it with whore jokes galore.

Sky is then at the shops one afternoon when she meets Holder. Everybody loves Holder and Sky can definitely see why. The only problem is that Holder is looking at Sky with so much contempt and Sky has no idea what she could have done to him for him to hate her so much, she doesn't even know him! Once outside Holder tries to introduce himself to Sky and then tries to hit on her. Sky is confused by him at first and then she just gets irritated with him and believes that he has a split personality disorder. From then on Holder is everywhere, jogging with Sky in the morning, around the hallways at school and right in Sky's thoughts always. Their attitudes towards each other change often and mostly because they both have wicked mood swings. It is a very strange friendship/relationship that starts to grow.



No comments:

Post a Comment